AmBev creates its first carbon neutral brewery in Brazil

By Rachel Arthur

- Last updated on GMT


Related tags Ab inbev Ambev Sustainability

AmBev’s first large brewery and first malting facility have become carbon neutral: with four more breweries set to follow by the end of the year.

Over the past five years, AB InBev’s Brazil arm Ambev has invested around $25m in sustainable operations.

Located in the South region of Brazil, the brewery and malting site reduced 90% of their CO2​ emissions and have offset the remaining 10%. This has reduced 9,700 tons of CO2​ annually since 2018: equivalent to taking 1,300 cars off the road.  

By the end of 2021, another four Ambev breweries are due to become carbon neutral. 

Since 2003, Ambev has reduced more than 63% of its emissions across its direct operations; as well as investing in initiatives to reduce emissions across the value chain.

“Our path to carbon neutrality requires bringing our partners and suppliers along in the journey. We continue to advance our commitment to go beyond our own operations to make a positive and lasting impact in our communities,”​ says Rodrigo Figueiredo, Vice President of Sustainability and Procurement at Ambev. 

“This important step supports our efforts to achieve our ambitious 2025 Sustainability Goals, which aim to drive progress across our full, integrated supply chain. We developed our goals with the UN SDGs in mind and they are designed to tackle shared global environmental and social challenges. We focus on four areas where we can deliver the most value for the world and our company: agriculture, water, packaging, and climate.” 

AB InBev’s 2025 Sustainability Goals include purchasing 100% of electricity from renewable sources; reducing CO2​ emissions across the value chain by 25%; and making all packaging returnable or made from majority recycled content.